in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-03-2009 9:49 AM by nmartin771. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-01-2009 8:03 PM

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Australian Used B&O Market...

Just a question.

I have a friend who emigrates to Adelaide from the UK tomorrow.  He has just taken his entire families belongings in a container.

I'm thinking of maybe sending him a container full of B&O for the Australian Market to sell on ebay in Oz.  Good idea, or bad idea?  There seems to be a fantastic market for older B&O, but shipping prices shoot any deal straight in the foot when selling from Europe.

I'm not a charity of course, but i'd love to see more Australians and New Zealanders get their hands on stuff without having to pay the earth.. What do you think?

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-01-2009 9:04 PM In reply to

Re: Australian Used B&O Market...

Good idea, but what about when the stuff needs to be serviced?

• 07-01-2009 9:12 PM In reply to

It would be great to see a bit more of a second hand B&O market here. I get so frustrated seeing things for sale overseas at great prices, only to have extremely high postage prices shoot the idea in the foot.

The one problem you have is that you are sending it to Adelaide. It is a smaller city, so not the population/market. You will still have shipping costs of the larger items to the bigger cities (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane).

In saying that, the Australian market is pretty strong. Another thing to consider is exchange rate.

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 07-01-2009 9:49 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

I would suggest puting a tech in with the container and send it to Melbourne or Sydney. Failing the tech putting up with the voyage maybe align yourself with a service agent or agency somehow.

pm if you need further details...

beoaus...

• 07-01-2009 10:27 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I agree that adelaide is too small, even though i've spent almost 10 thousand dollars at lifestyle AV now.Having a second-hand source in this country would do well, set up shop in sydney or melbourne one day.

Regarding servicing? If it comes to that i have my dealer... :(

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-01-2009 10:33 PM In reply to

Fantastic idea. There used to be a great second hand market here before B&O was taken over by Denmark again a while ago. Prior to that I purchased many pieces of used B&O from dealers at very competitive prices. I think it was a great mistake by Denmark to discontinue this policy as it worked so well.

Patrick

• 07-01-2009 10:54 PM In reply to

I'd consider setting up a B&O second hand store here. I've thought about it in the past, but find sourcing product a problem...

Maybe Lee and I should talk???? Big Smile

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 07-01-2009 11:04 PM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

From a personal perspective I would love to see an expansion of the used B&O market within Australia, particularly if it were to use a similar model to Lifestyle AV in the UK - detailed online product browsing, warranty on items, etc.

Currently in Aus, being limited to items that appear on eBay can be very frustrating (item that you need/want not available) and risky (no accompanying warranty/guarantee). A more targeted and robust second hand market place for B&O equipment would really be welcome - by me, anyway. But as beoaus points out, a servicing component, whether in-house, outsourced or aligned with existing Aus B&O service centres, would be vital.

As mentioned above, selling into Aus from the UK means you have a bit of exchange rate risk as well as high shipping costs. It's my understanding that you're also likely to be hit with import duty - generally 10% on items over AUD$1000, even if they are second hand. But there may be ways around this - not sure. The other risk is the strength of the market itself and our relatively small population. Although, it does seem that premium prices are paid on eBay for some items.

In any case, I'd love to see more second hand B&O equipment available in Aus. Lee: please keep us posted on how your container plans progress.

Cheers,

Matt

• 07-02-2009 5:17 AM In reply to

Hello Lee et.al.

Great idea to send some items over.. Ive already bought a beocentre 2 and a beogram 7000 through Lifestyle AV. The shipping is expensive I agree, but often is still cheaper than brand new or 10% discounted items here in Sydney.

Love to know what you are planning to send Lee as I might be interested in a few items!!!

David Coyne

Sydney, Australia

BV8-40, BC6-26, BC2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beoport, Beotalk 1200, Beocom 6000, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400

• 07-02-2009 5:37 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Well, it's not really a plan (yet) - i just wanted to know what the market is like in Australia..

Is it a big market, or is it just 'pent up' demand from a few enthusiasts?

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-02-2009 5:57 AM In reply to

Hi Lee..

Is it a big market?? Difficult to say. You might need to talk with a few B&O store managers

22 Million people... Almost 4.6 million in Sydney, 3.5 million in Melbourne, approaching 3 million in Bris Vegas. They would be the markets to concentrate on and where the money is I suspect.

You must get plenty of queries from Australia.. I continue to buy from you!

David Coyne

BV8-40, BC6-26, BC2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beoport, Beotalk 1200, Beocom 6000, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400

• 07-02-2009 10:54 AM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

Brisbane is just under 2 million actually :-)

I'm glad it's not bigger. It's the perfect city. 

• 07-02-2009 8:03 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Australia used to have the second largest spare parts selection outside of Denmark. The service centres were staffed by employees with decades of experience and helpful advice.

The business model then changed and service was outsoursed. The parts were no longer available.  Stores no longer sell second hand goods and its hard to get them serviced without parts or in some cases the experience or time to fix them economically.

The secondhand market I would say is made up of a small number of enthusiasts, possibly getting smaller... I think there is potential. To get it running you may need a shop front, service centre and parts supply to support it. Then they will come.....

beoaus.

• 07-03-2009 8:26 AM In reply to

The lack of a used base here (i'm in Melbourne) is a bit of a limiter. Ebay Aus doesn't carry a great deal of interest - and as voiced before the overseas Ebay purchases always have a large postage/shipping (there not a lot of light B&O).

The benefit of a shopfront would be obvious but costly to setup. I'd definitely be interested in a used BV7 (since saving up for a new one is taking too long).

Having the choice of a supply line for used would be beneficial - although buyers on the cusp of recent used vs new probably wouldn't impress B&O..?  

In summary - a good idea, but with a servicing/support option would definitely be a clincher. 

• 07-03-2009 8:48 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Lee, you could sell Lifestyle AV franchises.WhistleLaughingLaughing If you need a van driver for the Eastborne to Australia run, just drop me a PM.Wink

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-03-2009 9:49 AM In reply to

Craig:

Lee, you could sell Lifestyle AV franchises.WhistleLaughingLaughing If you need a van driver for the Eastborne to Australia run, just drop me a PM.Wink

CraigSmile

Do you need co driver ? Smile

..... easy left .... easy right .... strait .... Laughing

I will bring booze ....

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)