in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-02-2009 10:08 PM by Dave Moulton. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-02-2009 9:24 AM

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

Can you ceiling mount Beolab 3 ?

I'm just going through some different options for the rears in our lounge room.... 

has anyone done this? and how do you do it with the acoustic lens, I assume the speakers would have to hang at at angle ???

( I did do a search but only found info on ceiling mount for the Beolab 4 )

• 06-02-2009 11:12 AM In reply to

• bumble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Re: Can you ceiling mount Beolab 3 ?

Use a nice-looking post for a drop-down; then mount BL3 wall bracket to the exterior of that - as if a wall surface proper - and conceal your cables up the drop post.

Bumble

• 06-02-2009 3:58 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

It is possible, but I seem to remember this being brought up a while back (anyone else recall this?) and the thought was that it wouldn't be recommended for optimal ALT performance due to the way it disperses.

-Michael

• 06-02-2009 4:18 PM In reply to

My post started with drilling speaker floor stands into the ceiling but perhaps it is not such a bad idea - why not use the table stand option and do the same, the lens used conventionally projects sound upwards, I can't work out why there would be any problem inverting them.

• 06-02-2009 5:09 PM In reply to

I have BL3s up on the wall, about 15 degrees "behind" me, and 1.85 meters from the floor. In my room, placing them all the way at ceiling level would be way too high.

I had a sound engineer in my listening room, someone who has recorded and mixed some world artists, including Vladimir Ashkhenazy, and this engineer was much opposed to having my BL3s even at that height, saying I should place them on stands at the same relative angle. He felt the sound energy was hitting my ears at an unfavourable angle. I told him that the placement was optimized for movie surround, and to that he concurred - as that's where movie surround speakers are placed. His preference was dictated by the fact that he produces records with high-resolution, multi-channel playback.

So - for movies: yes, place them up on the wall, or suspended from the ceiling; if you will do most of your listening to music, don't go too high.
    My BL3s remained where I placed them, as I use them 90% of the time for movies, and for that they're brilliant there.

The sound engineer's latest effort:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/5981

• 06-02-2009 10:08 PM In reply to

I've not tried it with BeoLab 3s, but we've experimented with lens prototypes in ceilings and they work extremely well.  

You either want to put them on stands that are inverted and fastened to the ceiling or use the wall-mount bracket fastened to a ceiling-mounted post of some sort.  Personally, I'd like them "tilted" so they aim downward slightly (say 20 degrees?) and they should be in front of you on the ceiling, not overhead.  

I hope this helps.  Good luck in any case, and ENJOY!

Best regards,

Dave Moulton

Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)