in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-03-2009 6:23 AM by k984942. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-30-2008 11:28 AM

Virgin V+ STB and Avant DVD

A friend of mine wishes to get a Virgin V+ box working with his Avant DVD. He was originally told by B&O that this was possible and made the necessary arrangements but has just been told that the Avant does not have the software for this device. Is this true? I seem to remember that the Pace NTL codes worked for Virgin but is that just an older version? Anyone using this set up?
  • 12-30-2008 11:35 AM In reply to

• Tayne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-31-2007
    • Posts 23
    • Bronze Member

Re: Virgin V+ STB and Avant DVD

This is possible (V+) depending on the version of Avant (Only the later ones) It is avalible in the leatest PUC software
  • 12-30-2008 11:47 AM In reply to

I will need to check, but it is a RF Avant DVD32". He said about 5 years old though I imagine a year or so older could be possible. He was told that the software was only for the flat screen TVs and not the Avant.
  • 12-30-2008 11:50 AM In reply to

Peter,

The Virgin V+ box is made by the US company Scientific Atlanta Explorer model 8300HD which is also used under the TeleWest name as well.

This actual STB is not available in any version of AVANT STB chipset, however as Scientific Atlanta appears to use the same IR codes for all their STB's, you could try the "G Sci Atl DVR" listed in the "Western Europe" version 4.01 chip part number 8344785 or "SciTiAtla SABNNKZNS" listed in the "Southern Europe" version 4.03 chip part number 8344787

Regards Keith....

• 12-30-2008 12:01 PM In reply to

That sounds good! I'll let him know! He was pretty cheesed off and was threatening to sell all his B&O kit. he did buy a Sony LCD though for another room and found the broadcast picture very poor compared to the Avant - no surprise there then!
  • 12-30-2008 12:05 PM In reply to

If these didn't work, can you get a Beo5 to operate it independently?
  • 12-30-2008 12:17 PM In reply to

Peter,

Making Virgin V+ work directly with the Beo5 is very easy because it uses Philips RC5 IR protocol codes, so an XML file can be created with our "Beo5 3rd Party XML Generator"

Regards Keith....

• 12-30-2008 2:53 PM In reply to

I had a suspicion it might - I have offered to lend him my Beo5 if the other codes don't work. Afraid still a paperweight though I have charged it!
  • 12-30-2008 3:46 PM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Hi All

I have the latrst STB-C in my Avant (4.01 West Europe) and wish to control my Virgin V+.

If I select the  G Sci Atl DVR as the source:

1. Every time I  do anything (e.g. change channel or look at TV guide) the picture freezes for a fraction of a second.

2. I can't utilise the coloured buttons as they are mapped to do other things like go up and down channel. 

3. I can't access the menu to view my recordings 

I therefore tried the Pace 4000 NTL as the source:

1. No temporary freeze of picture what so ever

2. Full use of the coloured buttons as they are not mapped to do other things.

3. I still can't access my recordings!!

Can anyone let me know what sourced they've chosen so as to control their Scientific Atlanta Explorer, and which Beo4 keys do what?

As always, your help and support is greatly appreciated. 

32" RF VCR Avant, 2 x 28" VCR Avant, DVD1, Beocom 6000, Beo5, A9 Keyring!

• 01-02-2009 9:51 AM In reply to

k984942:

Hi All

I have the latrst STB-C in my Avant (4.01 West Europe) and wish to control my Virgin V+.

If I select the  G Sci Atl DVR as the source:

1. Every time I  do anything (e.g. change channel or look at TV guide) the picture freezes for a fraction of a second.

2. I can't utilise the coloured buttons as they are mapped to do other things like go up and down channel. 

3. I can't access the menu to view my recordings 

I therefore tried the Pace 4000 NTL as the source:

1. No temporary freeze of picture what so ever

2. Full use of the coloured buttons as they are not mapped to do other things.

3. I still can't access my recordings!!

Can anyone let me know what sourced they've chosen so as to control their Scientific Atlanta Explorer, and which Beo4 keys do what?

As always, your help and support is greatly appreciated. 

Hi, just wondered if you have had any joy with this yet?

• 01-02-2009 9:52 AM In reply to

Peter :
    I had a suspicion it might - I have offered to lend him my Beo5 if the other codes don't work. Afraid still a paperweight though I have charged it!

I am Peter's mate, it's my problem we are trying to fix. Thanks for all your help so far everyone.

Will the Beo5 happily work a V+ box that is stuck to the back of my Avant? Will the infrared signal get to the V+ box back there?

• 01-02-2009 10:03 AM In reply to

As with all infra-red remotes, the receiver has to see the signal, so if it is behind the AVANT it is unlikely to see the Beo5 signal.

Given, that it is unlikely that you would wish to move the Virgin box from behind the AVANT, then you may wish to purchase a cheap infra-red extender, where you have a small IR transmitter in front of the Virgin box and the small receiver where it can receive the IR signal from the Beo5.

Regards Keith....

• 01-02-2009 12:54 PM In reply to

I think he is changing to Sky+ !! Very sensible! Smile
  • 01-02-2009 1:15 PM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

As with all infra-red remotes, the receiver has to see the signal, so if it is behind the AVANT it is unlikely to see the Beo5 signal.

Given, that it is unlikely that you would wish to move the Virgin box from behind the AVANT, then you may wish to purchase a cheap infra-red extender, where you have a small IR transmitter in front of the Virgin box and the small receiver where it can receive the IR signal from the Beo5.

Thanks for the advice.

There have been developments!!

I have cancelled my new Virgin account with no penalty. I will hopefully be installing Sky + instead. Might stick with Virgin for phone ahnd broadband, but those are mere details. Many thanks for the advice. Will go to see Peter's Sky + in action on his Avant if I can arrange that with the old chap. ;) 

• 01-02-2009 8:40 PM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Haven't gotten anywhere unfortunately!

I'm still hoping there's an alternative to buying a Beo5!

Wish I could switch to Sky but I'm stuck in my contract I'm afraid 

• 01-03-2009 1:17 AM In reply to

Assuming your Virgin remote control works perfectly with your Virgin box and you are sure that the STB IR transmitter is correctly placed over the Virgin Boxes IR receiver, then the only assessment can be that the STB controls are not compatible with your STB.

As you have the latest chipset in your AVANT and B&O will no longer be providing STB updates, then you are left with three (3) options:-

1. Change from Virgin to Sky
    2. Purchase a Lintronic box and let it drive the Virgin box taking its signal from pin 8 (AVL) on the SCART
    3. Purchase a Beo5 and control the unit directly

I guess there is a forth option, but unlikely one you would consider and that is to purchase a Beovision with a PUC which can be software updated for the Virgin box.

Regards Keith....

• 01-03-2009 6:23 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for your help as always Keith. I guess its a Beo5 for me then!

Has anyone in the UK managed to get a good deal on one sine the dealers are struggling at the moment? They don't seem to come up on the second hand market very often. 

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)