in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-08-2008 4:10 AM by Steve at Sounds Heavenly. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-14-2008 8:27 AM

Sub woofer addition

Hi there I am a new B&O owner. I have recently purchased a pre owned Beolsound 4 and 8000 speakers. Although I am very pleased with the sound. I find that the speakers do not quite reach the depths of bass when listening to bass pedal work (Chris Squire of Yes and the Flower Kings). I wondered if and how I could rig up a non B&O sub woofer to the system?.

Any thought or observations would be welcome.

Regards Terry

Filed under: ,
  • 05-14-2008 9:30 AM In reply to

• BeoIce
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Recklinghausen, Germany
    • Posts 281
    • Founder

Re: Sub woofer addition

Welcome to Beoworld Smile

It should be very easy to hook up any non-B&O subwoofer as long as it is an active one with auto-power-on function. Then you only need a Powerlink to RCA adapter cable. Perhaps you need a y-adapter too if none of your powerlink sockets are free anymore.

Regards

Martin 

BeoSound 9000 MK III, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 11, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoVision MX4000/MX7000 & BeoCom 4

Samsung UE40B7090, Samsung HT-WS1G, Technisat HD8-S, Sony PS3, Logitech PS3 IR-BT-Adapter & Lintronic TT455-RT-238

• 05-14-2008 10:06 AM In reply to

Thanks Martin, will give it a go..

Regards

Terry

• 10-07-2008 8:13 PM In reply to

• james
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-09-2008
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Ciao, 

I have 8000s as well. I'm using an Adcom power amp to drive my old (refoamed) large Advent speakers, circa 1978 (famous for their deep rich bass) set up as as subwoofers. To accomplish this, I bought on EBAY a Dalquist external crossover, which is hooked up between the pre-out jacks from my NAD 3200 pre-amp, and the rca cables running to the 8000s, and to the Adcom power amp. The crossover frequencies in the Dalquist are fixed for the 8000s at 80hz, while the low end cutoff is flexible, from 20 to 200 hertz. The levels fot the subs are variable, so fine tuning is possible. The whole setup sounds amazing. I have the 8000s in front, and the big old Advents behind my couch (though they still look great with their walnut veneers). With the 8000s not having to deal with the low frequencies, they sound even better- 130 watts without the stress of having to cope with sub-80hz. The Advents have amazing punch and depth- they can handle, at very high volume levels, a direct-to-disc vinyl recording of a 6000-pipe organ, with pedal notes reaching down to 32hz (played on a B&O linear tracking turntable, with a Soundsmith mmc1 cartridge). The soundstage, depth, clarity of the whole setup is amazing. The Dalquist crossover cost about 150.00. I'd be willing to bet that my setup sounds better than if I was using a new B&O source... I hope this helps!

James

Filed under:
  • 10-08-2008 4:10 AM In reply to

Hi Martin,

I agree, it is easy to drive a non-B&O sub from a spare Powerlink socket.  As each Powerlink socket contains both left and right audio channels, a "Powerlink to RCA cable" will allow you to power either a non-B&O sub or a conventional "hifi" stereo amp and passive speakers from any modern B&O audio system.

There is more information on these cables on my website (see link below).

Best regards,

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)