in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-16-2008 5:10 PM by alexcox. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-16-2008 12:57 PM

Beogram RX2 won't play

This may be a very simple problem but I have never owned a turntable before so know nothing about them. I have just bought a beogram rx2 from ebay but am unable to get it to work. I have adjusted the counterbalance so it seems to be balanced correctly as far as I'm aware but when I try to play anything on it (despite the arm not situating itself on the record when I try to play a 45, but I think that may be because new records have different weights to old ones?) it will sit on the egde of the record but as it moves into the grooves it slips back out to its starting position and it also does this if I try to cue it into the middle of the record. Is this simply because it needs a new stylus? It has a mmc3 on it at the moment. It also doesn't seem to make any noise when I touch the needle but that could easily be something to do with the stereo as I've never used a record player with it before. Any help is appreciated! Thanks
  • 07-16-2008 2:15 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram RX2 won't play

It sounds as if the tracking weight is wrong. Have you got the instruction manual for setting the weight? The other problem might be the cartridge - a very worn cartridge could produce the same symptoms.
  • 07-16-2008 3:15 PM In reply to

I have set it up using the instructions someone posted on here (setting the arm to play then unplugging etc) but with my lack of experience it could be wrong. I thought that it might be that it doesn't have enough pressure but i've played about with the counter weight and nothing seems to work. Does the needle become noticably blunt? I was wondering if it is blunt and therefore won't sit in the grooves?
  • 07-16-2008 4:31 PM In reply to

The suspension can harden and the stylus can be badly worn. When you look at it, is the needle completely central?
  • 07-16-2008 5:10 PM In reply to

Well the needle can move slightly, so it can be pushed side to side or up and down. Is that normal? its an mmc 3
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)