in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-14-2008 5:41 AM by beobilly1. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-09-2008 8:10 AM

B&O in Comet...

Heard a while ago that B&O were looking at going into one of the "sheds" to get back on track. I did'nt believe it of course, then I was told that they once had a consession in a Dixons London store...is this true!?!

What gave me a fright though was this... http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/hub/15/Home-Entertainment  see if you can spot the very interesting development. Discuss...

• 06-09-2008 8:18 AM In reply to

Re: B&O in Comet...

Hi:

I don't know if it is true presently. However, historically they did sell TVs through Rumbelows in the early 90's/late 80's. I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing, if B&O rent space in the shops kind of like how 3 Mobile rented floor space in Superdrug. This would mean that they maintain exclusivity yet gain access to a wider audience. However, (perhaps contradicting myself here) is this possibly a false economy - if people want to buy a Matsui/Sony/Sharp they go to Currys. If they want a B&O they go to B&O.

Is that an Avant and a Beosund 9000 in the banner?

• 06-09-2008 8:29 AM In reply to

The reason you see "3" mobiles in Superdrug is because Hutchison Telecom of Hong Kong wholely owns both Superdrug and "3"

In years gone by B&O had many shops-in-stores, as an example they were in Harrods, now they are NOT, they are over the road in their own Knightsbridge store.

Regards Keith....

• 06-09-2008 8:30 AM In reply to

Ah I didn't know that, makes sense I guess.

• 06-09-2008 9:22 AM In reply to

still in selfridges though

malcolm

• 06-09-2008 11:52 AM In reply to

malcolm welborn:

still in selfridges though

malcolm

Yes but I've been told by an employee at the Selfredges store that they won't last either. I was happy that B&O moved out of Harrods as the sales staff never knew what they were talking about. Although now the turnover of staff at the Knightsbridge store changes entirely every month, seriously.

• 06-09-2008 1:07 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Henry:

Although now the turnover of staff at the Knightsbridge store changes entirely every month, seriously.

Yes, I was told that too - indeed, as quickly as every couple of weeks, someone leaves the store. Perhaps they don't pay enough for the position of the store? :)

On a sidenote though, selling B&O products through somewhere like Comet, would be a step backwards. The big issue with B&O products in the UK is that there are already way too many stores. In some towns, there are two stores. In my opinion, there ought to be one large store serving a wider area.

Not sure if I'm really allowed to state this on here, but there is advanced discussions that the Bath and Liverpool stores will become UK flagship stores and will be completely revamped as 'BeoLiving' stores. For instance, in Bath, they'd open in the basement, as well as the ground floor, offering additional demo space.

However, this isn't something planned for 2009 - it's planned for late Summer. The Bath store could close for a month late Summer and get a complete 'BeoLiving' revamp.

• 06-09-2008 1:25 PM In reply to

harrods has def gone downhill since bno left

apart from the foodhall the place is utterly boring

they've got samsung in their place

..yawn 

popgear is grate™

• 06-09-2008 1:44 PM In reply to

Actually, the B&O area was taken over by Loewe

Regards Keith....

• 06-09-2008 2:32 PM In reply to

really ? it was samsung last time i looked ( i live just over the road )

don't ask aboot MY loewe experience at harrods

do a search..  

popgear is grate™

• 06-11-2008 9:01 AM In reply to

On the whole Loewe thing...  I reckon B&O might want to keep an eye on them. Some really nice stuff and very switched on staff.

I checked out my local dealer (now in the site of my old B&O dealer) and they seem to be doing well enough.

• 06-11-2008 9:10 AM In reply to

Hi there,

I have 'Haunted' the pages of Beoworld reading posts etc, but never been one to submit, However when I read this post I was going into Comet this morning to buy a sky mouse for the house, I asked the assisstant if they had in the hifi on there website and pointed it out on a display laptop, he went to ask someone else and came back saying they were not in stock just now and were meant to be coming in the autumn range of hifi systems.

He could be spinning a line as usually happens in these kind of places, or just been from a complete lack of knowledge and grasping for an answer, I just thought it was worth a mention.

Scott

• 06-12-2008 11:20 AM In reply to

...Oh dear,

If B&O end up in Comet or the likes it will never be the same again!

• 06-12-2008 11:31 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

B&O will never sell in Comet, as surely as there's a monday in the week...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-12-2008 12:02 PM In reply to

Did you see in the times today that the "institute of weekly day conferance" has taken a vote to remove mondays from the weeks, something to do with catching up with time drag. ;0)

• 06-12-2008 12:47 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Just to dispel any rumours before they get out of control - Bang & Olufsen will not be selling any of their products in Comet.  I have it from the highest level, and the words 'snowball in hell' may or may not have been banded around.

Laughing

This wasn't to disrespect Comet of course, it is just seen that the relationship would not be beneficial in any way for both parties on multiple levels and therefore would be completely unworkable.

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-12-2008 12:49 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

bikerscotty:

Did you see in the times today that the "institute of weekly day conferance" has taken a vote to remove mondays from the weeks, something to do with catching up with time drag. ;0)

In that case I'll be down to pick up my £699 BeoVision 9 from Comet this weekend Stick out tongue

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-12-2008 1:36 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

9 LEE:

Just to dispel any rumours before they get out of control - Bang & Olufsen will not be selling any of their products in Comet.  I have it from the highest level, and the words 'snowball in hell' may or may not have been banded around.

Laughing

This wasn't to disrespect Comet of course, it is just seen that the relationship would not be beneficial in any way for both parties on multiple levels and therefore would be completely unworkable.

Lee

I would love to hear B&O's opinion on their product being used in banner pictures on the Comet siteLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-12-2008 2:27 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'd say it's rather flattering on B&O's behalf really...

I know it's not quite the same, but they say imitation is the ultimate form of flattery...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-12-2008 3:03 PM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

That's a stock shot - I've used similar myself.
  • 06-13-2008 6:00 AM In reply to

Hi
  • 06-13-2008 6:22 AM In reply to

Hi:

If my memory from my Law A Level days serves me correctly, there is nothing that B&O can do about it. There was a case that we had to use to exemplify the sale of goods act and even if I owned a toy shop and put a real gun in the window, providing it does not have a price attached to it or a for sale sign there is nothing that authoroties/trading standards can do.

I guess this is the same as with charity shops that use old record players as displays and yet if you ask to purchase them they refuse because I think thier insurance company refuse to allow them to sell electrical items that have not been PAT tested and obviously that would be too expensive for a charity shop to do.

Thus Comet putting B&O stuff in their shop window (website) is not an "invitation to purchase".

• 06-13-2008 6:39 AM In reply to

In that case I'll be down to pick up my £699 BeoVision 9 from Comet this weekend Stick out tongue

Yeah but your extended warranty would run into the tens of thousands, and you aint escaping from there without one!

I probably agree with Lee as they tried the whole Dixons Oxford street thing and it just didn't work, However these are harsh times, and with my dealer talking about products stopping, BS9000 stopping next year, plus some things I have heard about production then you must admit that any meetings at high level brainstorming sessions must come up with some crazy ideas to get the brand up and rolling again? Its there job to turn the brand round, and in my opinion if they dont have product or future prospects, and are reducing product ranges then they have to look to other avenues to boost the brand. All be it Comet is severely doubtful and Lee has put our mind at rest on that, but the suits in the ivory towers MUST be looking at other extreme means to get their business back on track!

Scott

• 06-13-2008 7:04 AM In reply to

my dealer sent me a voucher for a trade in on my avant for a new lcd tv worth £500

i didn't realise my tv WAS worth that much !

shame it's only valid until 1.august

i bet bno have some super duper stuff lined up for chrismissy time ! 

popgear is grate™

• 06-13-2008 7:47 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I'm pretty certain Comet will remove the image at the request of Bang & Olufsen so it doesn't mislead both companies customers. I think the issue will be raised between them, and i can't see anyone falling out. Smile

Bang & Olufsen UK have expressed their gratitude to BeoWorld for highlighting the image in the thread, and are going to send BeoWorld a few little gifts by way of thanks. How about that!

beobilly and bikerscotty have got one each (one for starting the thread, one for going into the store and asking), so PM me your addresses please. The other two, we'll have a little quiz on the history of Comet or something.. WinkLaughing

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >