in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-12-2008 2:28 AM by Keith Saunders. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-10-2008 7:40 AM

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

B&O with Crestron

Integration with Crestron

With home automation becoming ever more sophisticated, customers expectations and requirements may sometimes exceed the operation of MasterLink. For example, consumers may want their home security system to be integrated with their home entertainment. MasterLink distributes Audio, Video and control around the home but was never designed to offer complete home automation support. However there are systems, such as Lutron or Crestron, where Bang & Olufsen products can be integrated to meet the customers exact requirements.

People are now starting to ask if they can integrate Bang & Olufsen products into their Crestron home automation system. This is possible with the use of an interface module and here's a link to the Crestron website detailing the exact hardware required.

http://www.crestron.co.uk/products/view.aspx?id=1565

This module can be used in one of two different ways. It can either convert Bang & Olufsen infra-red commands to operate the Crestron system or convert Crestron commands to operate Bang & Olufsen products. The Crestron system will need to be programmed accordingly.

A module is required for each Bang & Olufsen IR-receiver, whether it is in a television, an Audio system or a link room product such as BeoLink Active.

Great to see more connectivity - it can only be a plus!

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-10-2008 6:18 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: B&O with Crestron

I'll take the lack of response as a "who cares?" then...

Laughing 

• 05-10-2008 6:44 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Lee my friend.
    It's very easy to get a little bit disillusioned when you post something you find exciting, then get a resounding silence!
    In my case, I read this earlier whilst not signed in, and thought it was great news.
    Don't automatically assume that no response means no interest. Saturdays are notoriously quiet anyway.
    Some of us are too knackered to post, having spent the whole day power cleaning a long overdue rooftop patio (weeds growing between the nicks) 
    I think I may even have vibration white finger!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-10-2008 9:20 PM In reply to

I was quite intrigued when I saw this topic. I have been curious about Crestron and B and O for years. It is something exciting and worth considering.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 05-11-2008 4:18 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Lee,

Integration of Crestron, Lutron, Conson, others and to a lessor degree Lintronic are not really understood.

Pehaps we need an "Integrate with B&O" forum.

Beoaus.

• 05-11-2008 5:57 AM In reply to

Based on discussions with several dealers recently there appears to be quite a focus on selling "Crestron" as part of a B&O package.

Regards Keith....

• 05-11-2008 2:07 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

beoaus:

Lee,

Integration of Crestron, Lutron, Conson, others and to a lessor degree Lintronic are not really understood.

Pehaps we need an "Integrate with B&O" forum.

Beoaus.

Who supports this suggestion?

Always open to new suggestions, and if a forum can 'hold its own' and get plenty of posts - we're happy to add it.  However, it needs to be used, regularly, otherwise it will be lined up against a wall and shot.. just like the Poll Archive and others before... Laughing

Lee

Smile 

• 05-11-2008 9:22 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

I didn't know that Crestron was used that much in the UK or Europe.  I've always found Crestron to be a bit clunky on the hardware side, but it's programming seems to be pretty robust.   Its pretty much the standard here in the US.  However, the software is highly protected and it seems almost impossible to implement without including a AV team that usually lacks a B&O style in design and execution.  

As for a forum I'd be very interested.  I miss the Lintronic forum but don't recall it being overtly successful despite the product's widespread use.  I'm also wondering why there isn't more activity on the BEO5 forum.  

The trick with the more complicated technical forums is keeping people from simply lurking in there and not participating as I shamelessly do quite often.  That doesn't seem to be as much of a problem with 'brain candy' subjects such as "B&O TV Why?" and "Beosound 5in the General Forum.  I for one would enthusiastically agree to participate more if it would help.

-Michael

• 05-11-2008 10:45 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

One of the big issues with integration and B&O dealers is that the dealers make little or no money out of the transaction. It's often an unhappy marriage based on a particular requirement by the customer.

I am sure there are some large stores that do this often but lots are uninterested and very protective of anything the customer may wish to do themselves.

Maybe start the forum post some links, if it fails then create a FAQ so the detail is not lost...

beoaus.

• 05-12-2008 2:28 AM In reply to

Beoaus,

Whilst I agree that B&O dealers do not make any real margin out of Crestron sales, its more a matter of if they do not provide it with the B&O package, they may not get the B&O part of the sale either.

I am aware of at least one UK dealership who has lost a couple of very big B&O product sales because the customer also wanted to buy everything from one source, not just the B&O element.

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)