in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-09-2008 9:13 AM by burantek. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-09-2008 12:40 AM

beovox S55T6426 Speakers

Can any one help me please, I have recently acquired my parents sound system which must be nearly 30 years old although hardly used. The speakers have got foam rot and I am told by local b and o dealer that I need to get new drivers, Where can I do for these? as you probably realise I am not familiar with all the jargon and places to buy old equipment, so plain english please.
  • 05-09-2008 2:33 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: beovox S55T6426 Speakers

Foam rot is due to age, not usage. 

You would be better off with a repair of the original drivers rather than buying new. The original drivers were produced to B&O's specifications and is practically impossible to match today.

Depending on your location, there are several repairers. The cost of a repair is usually cheaper than buying new drivers and the drivers will be like new again.

In the UK Reconelab seems to be the place to go or maybe even a fellow Beoworld'er will assist.

Martin

• 05-09-2008 9:08 AM In reply to

thank you for that, have contacted recone lab but of course they are miles away, I live in Buckinghamshire. How can they mend the foam I dont really understand.
  • 05-09-2008 9:13 AM In reply to

they will not "mend" per se...

the foam rings "surrounds" will simply be replaced.

as others may have mentioned, it would also be a good time to consider replacing the caps in the crossover.

as they seem to have had little use, they should otherwise check out fine, and you can enjoy them for another 30 years!

++++edit++++

i should also mention from your op -that unless there is a definitive fault w/ the driver(s) -there should be no reason to go the expense of replacing. the re-foaming (should not be very expensive) and if you choose -the re-capping (could be pricey -as there is some benchwork) should be sufficient. btw, if you are a "crafty type" you may well be able to handle the re-foam yourself. it is actually rather fun. there are some good threads on this regarding doing the job -complete w/ photos!

look here:http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/40162.aspx

++++edit++++
    • B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)