in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-27-2012 2:16 PM by rayfenwick. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-08-2011 7:54 PM

Did anyone notice these?

Hello again everyone.  Remember me?

Did anyone notice these?

I did Cool

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 12-09-2011 3:46 AM In reply to

Re: Did anyone notice these?

Long time no see Ray, hope everything is fine Smile

That damage takes a lot off the going price, but that was still a bargain!

-mika

• 12-09-2011 6:59 AM In reply to

Hi Mika/everyone.  Good to be back.

I'm ok thanks.  Life got rather complicated as my marriage broke down and I didn't have anywhere permanent to live.  Finally I'm renting a place, and things are more settled.  My B&O has started to be unpacked from all the boxes stored in my mum's loft, and it's great to have it around me again :)

I've started studying again (a degree in Design and Innovation) and am currently looking for work.  I'm applying for jobs pretty much everywhere - a move back to Moscow, Malta or maybe somewhere new is on the cards :)

The best part of it all is that Natasha and I are still friends.   Now the arguing has stopped I feel much better about everything else. :)

Back to business, then.  A set of 5000's have been at the top of my list for a long time.  I used to have a set of passive 3000's with my 4500 system, and I loved the looks, and the sound was pretty  impressive too...  As you all know 5000's usually go for much more than this.  The damage is a pain, but I'll get a good look at it (and post some pics) when they arrive.  Plus, if an undamaged 5000 comes up for sale...

I'm hoping to pair them with something like a Beocenter 2300 in the short term, though later I'd like to get a Beosound 9000 (simply because they look so good).  As much as I love the looks of the Beosystem 4500, I'm not going to use a cassette deck, and the 9000 takes up less space, and offers more eye candy.  I have a Beogram 4200 that will go nicely with the 90000 (RIAA is not a problem) though I'd like to swap this for a 4000 later (though both 6000 and an 8002 appeal to me...) We'll see what comes along.

For the meantime I have my Beocenter 7700/CDX/CX50's doing good work in the living room, and my 900K/Beogram 1000 in my office - it's not so bad :) 

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 12-09-2011 2:32 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Heyup Ray - good to see you back. Smile

I saw these but had to dismiss them due to the distance from Leeds. Last time I drove to Devon it cost me £150 in fuel - add the 10+ hour round trip & it wasn't worth it. It does highlight the problems with listing items on a collect only basis.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-09-2011 4:11 PM In reply to

I think Leslie has a lonely Beolab 5000. You could always use it for parts or swap in...

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 12-09-2011 5:55 PM In reply to

welcome back

hope that arguements did not include B&O

glad you are still friends

take care

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-10-2011 6:32 AM In reply to

Medogsfat:

Heyup Ray - good to see you back. 01.gif

Glad to be back.

Medogsfat:

I saw these but had to dismiss them due to the distance from Leeds. Last time I drove to Devon it cost me £150 in fuel - add the 10+ hour round trip & it wasn't worth it. It does highlight the problems with listing items on a collect only basis.

It certainly does, though the seller and I are working out between us whether to courier or wait for me to drive down and collect them.  Naturally we're both aware of the need for good packaging on an item like these…  opening shoddy packaging that contains broken B&O that was fine before the journey is a sickening feeling I know only too well… I'll keep everyone updated.

Jonathan:

I think Leslie has a lonely Beolab 5000. You could always use it for parts or swap in...

Ooh, that could be interesting...

elephant:

welcome back

hope that arguements did not include B&O

glad you are still friends

take care

Well, B&O was a part of it, but certainly not the main part.  I do have some stuff that has to go, I know that, but a lot of it was her frustration that I still don't have a job, and that it is hard for her to accept my illness.  They don't have depression in Russia - you're either ok, or you throw yourself under a metro train….  As for  my genetic disorder, well, that's just laziness…  Unsure

To be fair, I'm making it sound much worse than it is.  I don't think either of us has given up on our marriage completely, but we both realise that things have to change.  I'm sure I'll be updating you all on that also…   Embarrassed

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 12-10-2011 8:46 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

The metal panels on these are bog standard (thin guage) polished stainless steel - a decent metal fabricator should be able to make replacements for not a lot of money. They are attached with double sided tape I think. The text is simply silver/grey transfers which you could also probably obtain easily enough.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-10-2011 9:41 AM In reply to

I have to disagree Chris!

They are not "bog standard polished stainless steel", they are a specific finish, the name of which escapes me at this moment.

A number of people have attampted to reproduce the panels, over the years, none with any success.

They have been made out of the aforementioned "bspss"material and they look terrible. IIRC a guy in Germany was trying to market them, a couple of years ago, with no takers.

Barrie911 was the last person that I know who did attempt it and he had apparently sourced the correct material. I don't know how far he got but he went all quiet on me!

Regards Graham

• 12-10-2011 9:56 AM In reply to

Egoh's had a good go at it.

I wonder if anyone's painted them with bright colours, furthering their Mondrian-esque design.

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 12-10-2011 11:13 AM In reply to

rayfenwick:

Egoh's had a good go at it.

I wonder if anyone's painted them with bright colours, furthering their Mondrian-esque design.

The Egoh finished articles look about right. The originals look to have been polished, presumerably by a previous owner, hence the partially missing logo.

Regards Graham

• 12-10-2011 12:08 PM In reply to

joeyboygolf:

The Egoh finished articles look about right. The originals look to have been polished, presumerably by a previous owner, hence the partially missing logo.

I have a Pulsar LED watch that has been polished by a previous owner in much the same way.  Apparently the fine Scotchpad- abrasive things are the way to go...

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 12-10-2011 12:21 PM In reply to

double post

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 01-27-2012 2:16 PM In reply to

Just to quickly wrap this up, unfortunately someone must have had a word with the seller, because he suddenly went very quiet, and so all I can guess is that he decided to accept a better offer.  It's annoying, as I've wanted a set of 5000's for a long time, and most I've seen are well out of my current price-range.  Still, I can't really blame him, as it was a very low winning bid, all things considered.

Anyway, it happens, and I haven't let it put me off ebay, as you'll see :)

Why have I been away again after only just coming back?  An argument with an upstart internet company meant that they came and collected their equipment after only 4 weeks of patchy service.  I'm now back on ADSL, and have a stable connection again

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)