in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-21-2010 6:12 AM by beaker. 78 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-16-2010 11:26 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beomaster 900K & a novice needing help

The fact that you're concerned and want to correct it, means we'll make a tech out of you yet!

Definitely start checking resistors, without a doubt. On some of them you may have to desolder a leg to get the actual reading. Anything more than 10% deviation (and I would aim for 5% max) is definitely cause for replacement. Use metal or carbon film resistors for replacement, not metal oxide types - they are not good for audio.

And I would check any zener diodes in the circuit. If the circuit diagram specifies BZX types, don't replace them with the more common 1Nxxxx types - I learnt that through experience.

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 01-16-2010 12:36 PM In reply to

You know, that's funny because i was just about to come and declare that whatever it is, it sounds too good to worry about, but of course you're right. I've spent the day listening it, and it's just amazing how nice it sounds after the recapping. I mean, i can appreciate the "better" systems, but it just has this nice and warm old sound. It was this that i was expecting when i first listened to it and was so disappointed. I can just picture it already with an old turntable and listening some records with it (note : next project : turntable Laughing Another note : must find RIAA board). And i know that it'll just get better while the caps burn in.

So it's mainly done. But i kind of would tend to wish to finish it proper, even though i doubt you'd be able to make a tech out of me no matter what happens Laughing So, yes, i'll need to get to it, and just measure every damn thing on it that i can, without expecting that someone holds my hand every time. I'm not even sure this voltage difference really matters in real life, as it works just swell, but i've done already so much on it that it'd be nice to get it just there, to close it and never worry about it ever again.

So thanks for the pointer, i'll go through all the resistors & zeners when i will recap the stereo decoder next week Yes -  thumbs up

Sebastian

• 01-16-2010 12:43 PM In reply to

sebastian:

I'm not even sure this voltage difference really matters in real life, as it works just swell, but i've done already so much on it that it'd be nice to get it just there, to close it and never worry about it ever again.

Remember those old resistors have a 10% tolerance (some might even be 20%). So you can allow about that much on most test point voltages, as well... of course those that are directly adjustable should be accurate.

-mika

• 01-21-2010 6:12 AM In reply to

Just thought I would say what a great thread this is. Well done to all involved and it may well inspire me to recap the 900 in my Compact.

Page 4 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4