in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-01-2009 4:33 PM by linder. 29 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-07-2009 5:04 PM In reply to

Re: B&O cartridge review

I think the offer on the conversion is also rather good though! $680 to do the conversion and also overhaul the 4002 seems pretty fair! It is a well known conversion - was done many years ago!

• 06-15-2009 10:29 PM In reply to

I appreciate the all the comments that have been made about the Soundsmith Cartridges.  Had I been made aware that the listening tests were to be performed, I would have made an offer that I make now. 

The Soundsmith cartridges I have been making (9 models in all - SMMC4,3,2,1 and The Voice,  as well as the 20 series replacements, SMMC20E, EN, CL and CL+) were researched in terms of design criteria and sonic characteristics. The overwhelming majoritry of owners preferred the sound of the current designs to a more "relaxed. smoother" sound, which I can and did design as well. One must also take into consideration that the SMMC1 and the CL+ use very advanced stylus shapes, shapes not used on the original models. While these styli shapes can perform extremely well, they can also misbehave under certain circumstances, as well as show defects in recordings that other designs will not due to integration of the tracing information - a smoothing due to slower response.  However, the descision was made to produce the cartridges as we have based soley on feedback from customers. I have received far, far more postive emails than negative ones - in fact, less than a handful of concerned ones over the many years we have been producing them.  I have, however, received hundreds of emails of the following type:"I am hearing things in my records that I did not with the old cartridge, and am very pleased indeed".  

That said, if a "smoother" version of the SMMC20EN had been requested to be honestly compared to the current production unit that was tested, I would have and will be glad to submit one. I can produce these for any model on special request if ordered in that way. It is just that we have had no complaints. Literally - these posts are the first that I am hearing about  - and I am glad for the feedback.  

I was a bit surprised to hear that the suspensions were being replaced in the rebuilt units with the shibata - I think that that should be CAREFULLY VERIFIED - it is a critical issue, and I would like to inspect one that has been replaced. A word from the gentleman who is doing such work would be appreciated as that is one of the major casues of failure for the MMC series. This critical point should be absolutely verified, for the sake of those who are getting this work done. What models, and exactly what is being done. Not hearsay from someone else. Are the suspension components ALWAYS replaced by him?? 

Once again, I am appreciative for your support.

Peter Ledermann/Soundsmith

• 06-16-2009 2:26 AM In reply to

Hello Peter,

I'm drawing your attention to this: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/27071.aspx

Had a comment higher up in this thread concerning the sound from the stylus I bought from Soundsmith. I will be listening to a number of styluses soon, and am making some proper preparations (having the Beogram 4000 looked over among them.) I want to thank you for the job you're doing keeping our Beograms alive.

The comment I link to here is based upon a quick check, but I am looking forward to being able to compare SMMC20EN, my own SMMC20CL+, and the MMC5000, and will do so thoroughly and with open ears!

• 06-16-2009 8:28 AM In reply to

I think that Soundsmith do an excellent job and considering they are serving such a small market, we are fantastically lucky to have a company willing to spend money refining the B&O cartridge. I very much like my SMMC20EN which is superior to any of my old CLs , due I am sure to the ageing suspension in these cartridges.

I am also impressed with the cartridges repaired by Axel though and he clearly does replace the suspension as one cartridge I sent him clearly had a failure. I did ask for photos of the repair process but as this is all done down a microscope, this was not possible. I have just got my cartridges back so they will be sent off to Soundproof tomorrow.

I don't think this is a thread to criticise what Soundsmith does - they produce cartridges which will be the very best that you can get for a Beogram - the Voice cartridge is clearly a splendid step forward if somewhat pricey for every day use. The SMMC4 is however the recommended cartridge for all the modern decks by myself - good value for money and excellent sound and I know a number of B&O resellers also recommend them.

The MMC20 range is trickier as the SMMC20 range is not as good a match as the the SMMC4 in shape or looks. The Beogram 4000 range is bought both for sound quality and looks and the older origonal B&O range suit it better. Hence our trying of the restored units. I will be interested in another opinion. The first opinion is of a well respected Hi-Fi reviewer with no axe to grind and who has a very well set up system.

He too is looking forward to another opinion.

• 07-01-2009 4:33 PM In reply to

I don't want to reignite this debate but I have had a chance to listen to many different records using a SMMC1 cartridge along with both B&O MMC1 and MMC2.  The conclusion I have is the Soundsmith SMMC1 cartridge can be described as more detailed than MMC1 especially on higher quality classical recordings.  I will continue to use the Soundsmith cartridge full time.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2