in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-22-2012 9:49 AM by elephant. 166 replies.
Page 1 of 7 (167 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-17-2012 7:13 PM

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

BeoLit 12 is in the shops! Initial impressions?

I've finally gotten to spend some time today with the BeoLit 12.  So far I am really happy.  

The overall look comes across much better in person than in photos.  Fit, finish and feel are all satisfying.  It is lighter than I expected, but that will be a plus when carrying it around.  It does seem to take a while to star up and get logged into the LAN.  Our shop is on the top floor of a rather large shopping mall, and there are a lot of WiFi sources around, so I have had a few drop-outs; I'll want to get on into a more 'domestic' setting before I quibble with that though, our network is a bit touchy.  

Sound.  Initial reaction is jaw-dropping.  Is there a tad too much bass?  Matter of taste, I suppose,but  the 'pop' coming out of that little thing is crazy.  I'm too far away from it to get any impression of imaging or stage, and don't really care.  I'm grinning and tapping my foot.  I'm going to have to reload a lot of music on my iPod tonight.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 01-17-2012 7:35 PM In reply to

Re: BeoLit 12 is in the shops! Initial impressions?

Sounds promising. Will have a look next week or so.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 01-17-2012 8:22 PM In reply to

Our WiFi setup in pretty solid in the showroom and my experience was good. I experienced one brief drop-out over about 5 hours of play. The setup was even easier than what they had described to us earlier this past year and took about a minute from setting it on the desk to streaming music. 

The sound is spectacular. I think that Russ is right on the mark, that certain characteristics that we listen for in a pair of speakers just aren't going to matter for this form factor. It has extraordinary punch and clarity for something this small and will be ideal for taking out to the garden, into the garage, or up to the cabin for the weekend. 

But of course the best news is that I sold 4 units today. May not be an impressive statistic for an Apple store, but for a B&O shop with very little foot traffic it's a revelation! 

Now all they have to do is keep them in stock...

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 01-18-2012 2:28 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

Our WiFi setup in pretty solid in the showroom and my experience was good. I experienced one brief drop-out over about 5 hours of play. 

But that can happen with the Airport too, so it's nothing new. I can be streaming audio to an Airport Express, in the same room, and get the odd drop out, pause or similar. It happens.

It's not in my local store though.

• 01-18-2012 3:12 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I hope it's the next big thing and fills the stores with new customers. As always, i might like it or loathe it but i'll still probably get oneYes -  thumbs up

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 01-18-2012 4:30 AM In reply to

I'm suddenly wondering how long will BeoSound 3 last when BeoLit hits the stores..Hmm

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 01-18-2012 5:08 AM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-04-2010
    • Worthing
    • Posts 23
    • Gold Member

Do you have to be connected to a wifi connection to play music from the iphone or can the Beolit create an ad-hoc network connection?

• 01-18-2012 5:36 AM In reply to

As mentioned before I think you need a wifi network or use a cable to connect your iDevice to it
  • 01-18-2012 6:30 AM In reply to

• BillC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Sounds very promising, thanks for the heads up guys.

I'm curious, what do you think of the sound from the BeoLit 12 sound in comparison to the Beosound 3?

I have the Beosound 3 but would like to get the BeoLit 12 to use with our iphones (and others using the audio in) in the outdoors. My daughter loves music and this would be great way to bring music with us.

• 01-18-2012 6:50 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

The Beosound 3 is equiped with a magnificent feature; FM-radio, which is available everywhere and very easy to use, and you don't need to bring a digital music-device witrh you like an iPhone...

• 01-18-2012 8:38 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

BillC:

Sounds very promising, thanks for the heads up guys.

I'm curious, what do you think of the sound from the BeoLit 12 sound in comparison to the Beosound 3?

I've not heard the Beolit 12, but the BS3 is just a basic mono speaker. I don't think it compares. The Beolit 12 should be a lot better.

• 01-18-2012 8:40 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

jc:

The Beosound 3 is equiped with a magnificent feature; FM-radio, which is available everywhere and very easy to use, and you don't need to bring a digital music-device witrh you like an iPhone...

True, but FM is due to be switched off in the near future and, actually, I listen to BBC Five Live on AM a lot, which the BS3 doesn't support, so it's quite restricted for me, for that reason.

B&O have come up with a decent compromise, using wi-fi to stream radio/music/etc. Mind you, whether the traditional B&O audience "get" this is another matter entirely.

• 01-18-2012 9:00 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

Mind you, whether the traditional B&O audience "get" this is another matter entirely.

True, but as has been discussed elsewhere, this is the first product under a new Brand, so I'm not certain that we need for all of our traditional audience to 'get' it.  Our first sale was to a traditional client who came in to see it, and took it immediately, and our second sale was to a client whose only other purchase was a BeoSound 8, and now he can go portable.  I want to see how it does once it is properly displayed and hi-lighted in the shops.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 01-18-2012 9:09 AM In reply to

Have the stores gotten demo units to display and for custimers to try out in addition to sellable stock?  I may very well buy one, but want to hear it first.  Have been hoping that my local store here in Atlanta would get their stock along with a display unit I can test soon.  Thanks!

Jeff

• 01-18-2012 9:13 AM In reply to

moxxey:
    True, but FM is due to be switched off in the near future

Perhaps somewhere, but globally this is simply not going to happen.

Anyway, this product could have been easily been launched including FM. Technically it would have been cheap and easy, the only problem being the physical user interface it would've needed (and antenna). That would've made it at least somewhat interesting for us ***** users as well, who pair our devices to any old portable and non-portable audio units by switching on the stereo FM transmitter instead of messing with wifi networks Whistle

-mika

• 01-18-2012 9:28 AM In reply to

Talking about FM is very short sighted. The majority of the excellent, non mainstream stations do not broadcast on FM here in the UK. Instead they broadcast on DAB, iPhone app, on-line and SKY satellite. When I look at what is on FM in my area, it is very much the traditional BBC station which i've never warmed to and very low budget more of the same local stations.

Ive been using DAB for nine years now and also have it as standard in my car. I find it excellent. I also stream my music. But please don't cry for FM when its station choice was horribly limited along with the hiss, crackle, interference and distorted sound!

• 01-18-2012 9:43 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

@Moxxey: 'FM is due to be switched off in the near future'

that is, with all respect, complete nonsense. Talking about the situation on mainland Europe, where the majority of people live, not in the UK, FM is, and for a very long time will be the way people listen to 'the radio'. Also, it's the only way you can listen to radiostations in a car. It's cheap, fast, and provides very good quality sound. All important radiostations can be received by FM.

Talking about soundquality; AM can hardly be regarded as providing qualitysound.

Furthermore, the word 'compromise' isn't to be used in the same sentence as B&o...

• 01-18-2012 9:53 AM In reply to

Tod Daniel:

But please don't cry for FM when its station choice was horribly limited along with the hiss, crackle, interference and distorted sound!

This 'old chestnut' again.

A decent FM tuner,and aerial,will beat DAB for sound quality any day of the week.

After all,a FM tuner,such as my 1970's Accuphase,was designed for Hi-Fi systems.

As for FM switch off in the UK,this is being frequently put back due to the tapering off of DAB takeup.

• 01-18-2012 9:59 AM In reply to

Not Beolit 12 but didn't want to make a new thread, here about B&O win.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 01-18-2012 10:08 AM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

My dealer says the thing is pretyy legit.

He in fact told me that it was VERY impressive.  Not a beosound 8 but much more portable.

I am encouraged.  I will most likely pick one up in the next week or two.

Have any of you had a dealer price one to you?  I'm curious as to the actual sales price shops are placing on them.

MJM

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 01-18-2012 10:21 AM In reply to

$799 in the US.
  • 01-18-2012 10:56 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

I actually was thinking about buying one, but now..... not a chance !!

Why is all the latest B&O products only 85% ?

Why on earth is the latest compact music system little red riding hood is running in the woods with, not able to create it's own wirelses network so the AirPlay functions could work when i take it to the park ? I don't see the minijack wire in the commersial, i only see a lot of iphones lighting up when she is near by, which implies that the AirPlay will work without connected to your home network..

Nice try, the sound should be awesome, but i don't need another stereo in my house. AirPort express with BM7000 is perfect when im home.. I needed the Beolit 12 to be able to go where my home network is UNAVAILABLE...

Is it just me ??

/Weebyx

• 01-18-2012 11:39 AM In reply to

Then just go out there and buy one...

You can set up your iPhone 3gs 4 en 4g with iOS 5.0 to act as a personal wifi hotspot, then the BeoLit 12 streams your music directly from your iPhone.

Note. iPad and iPod are not able to as a personal wifi hotspot.

• 01-18-2012 11:58 AM In reply to

• madskp
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

Actually the Iphone 3GS won't act as a personal hotspot. Only Iphone 4 or later as stated in this Apple support document: Personal Hotspot

I tried connecting my Airport Express to my Iphone 4's personal hotspot and it worked like a charm with airplay, so i guess it will work with the Beolit 12 as well. I found nothing in the manual stating otherwise.

• 01-18-2012 12:19 PM In reply to

Russ:

moxxey:

Mind you, whether the traditional B&O audience "get" this is another matter entirely.

True, but as has been discussed elsewhere, this is the first product under a new Brand, so I'm not certain that we need for all of our traditional audience to 'get' it.  Our first sale was to a traditional client who came in to see it, and took it immediately, and our second sale was to a client whose only other purchase was a BeoSound 8, and now he can go portable.  I want to see how it does once it is properly displayed and hi-lighted in the shops.

I am a member of the traditional audience and I get it.  I think Tue's video was dull but I understand what he was trying to do.  Some of the remarks in other forums were a little unkind.  Tue should not do those videos too much.  A lot of people couldn't get by the accent.  They might want to make videos with a presenter speaking in international English.

Anyway I will be at the local B&O store today.  I will probably buy a Beolit 12.  FM is not a consideration for me.  I only listen to internet radio or satellite radio.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

Page 1 of 7 (167 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »