in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-09-2012 12:23 AM by treminaor. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-11-2012 10:58 PM

Beogram TX Platter replacement?

I was doing a bit of work on the innards of my Beogram TX turntable and once I was done it was dirty all over so I started cleaning all the outer components. I got a bit too carried away with the isopropyl alcohol and started rubbing some parts down with it... all went well until I started rubbing the platter with it. I was in low light so I didn't notice till I had rubbed all over the entire platter, but the metal finish was completely ruined by the alcohol and the platter is unsightly now... I was wondering what model Beogram platters would be compatible with the TX (such as TX2 maybe?) and if anyone on here either knew where I could order a replacement or had one for sale.

Also, another platter-related question that I have is: are the rubber inlays supposed to actually come higher than the metal on the platter? Mine are totally level with the metal and my better judgement tells me that they are completely useless in this state.

Thanks.

• 01-12-2012 1:05 AM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Re: Beogram TX Platter replacement?

The TX had a much higher quality platter than the TX2 - heavier, shinier.  'Might have been the same as the 8002 used.  Certainly not purchasable from B&O today.  As I recall the rubber inlays are raised, but not measurably so.

• 01-12-2012 1:09 AM In reply to

Thanks for your response - is there a way I can verify that it's interchangable with the 8002? Also, should the rubber actually raise the record from the metal platter? Because I'm thinking that the rubber is damaged from storage and shrank...

• 01-12-2012 1:25 AM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

The 8002 and the TX were manufactured at the same time.  Just look at photos of an 8002.  The platter appears to be identical.  No, the rubber inlays would not raise the record - the height difference was miniscule.

• 01-12-2012 2:19 AM In reply to

The TX2 uses a Beogram 6002 platter, which is a Beogram 8002 platter with a little different rubber inlay patten.

You can also use a Beogram 8000/6006 platter if you like.

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 01-12-2012 2:29 AM In reply to

Any idea where I can get a 8000 or 6006 platter? Short of buying an entire broken 8000 turntable off of an auction site just so I can salvage the platter, I haven't found anything.

I'll give Atlantic Systems Electronics a call tomorrow and see if they can help.

• 01-13-2012 6:42 PM In reply to

Atlantic Systems emailed me saying that they do have a limited number of those platters in stock but they are in worse cosmetic condition than the one I currently have... Sad

Any other ideas?

• 01-15-2012 2:24 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

treminaor:

Atlantic Systems emailed me saying that they do have a limited number of those platters in stock but they are in worse cosmetic condition than the one I currently have... Sad

Any other ideas?

If it were me, I'd watch The Bay and buy a second deck.  They go pretty cheap when there's a flaw (bad dust cover, no cartridge, etc.)  Of course, then you'll end up like me with two RX 2's, two 3404's, two pairs of M70 speakers, three BM2400's, etc., etc., etc., etc.

But anyway, if you want to keep your TX running long term, you're probably going to need spare parts eventually anyway.  And with a good working MMC2, why wouldn't you want to keep the TX running long term?

Like Peter noted in one of your other thread's, the TX won't fetch much when being sold, and your MMC2 is worth more.  (Actually, much, much more.)  I've seen a used MMC2 fetch over $500.  Many folks on this site don't believe anyone should ever buy a used MMCx cartridge on The Bay, but I've always had success (five purchases so far).  But I digress.

BTW, welcome to Beoworld.  It's a long shot, but maybe Benny Amina of Modular Electronics has a replacement platter.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 01-19-2012 9:15 PM In reply to

I have my first B&O turntable, a TX that I bought new.

I just HAD to have the cartridge plug off the tonearm for a project so I (pretty stupid huh?) cut off the end of the arm.

The project worked out OK (very lightweight MMC mount for Yamaha PX-2) and I realized too late that I could get the cartridge mount by shopping for the B&O adapters that aren't so rare!

So the rest has been sitting here waiting for you to pick it up. Are you anywhere near north new jersey?

• 01-19-2012 9:45 PM In reply to

Wow, thanks for posting!

Unfortunately I'm all the way over in California but I would be happy to pay shipping from NJ to CA providing it isn't too outrageous.

I've sent an email to you via your set BeoWorld email adress with more info.

Thanks again! Big Smile

• 01-20-2012 1:33 PM In reply to

No mssg yet-but I found my "private" email had my old adress-I updated it to the one in my "public" adress. (???)

If you can arrange shipping & get a call tag sent to my shop (www.philscars.com) I'd pack up everything or just the platter and it's yours.

PS: regarding your question about the place in the heirarchy of the TX: I've had a 4002. I think the TX is every bit as good/competent as the 4002/4004 except it's prettier and much simpler/reliable. (translation: !heresey! It's a better unit) That puts it pretty near the top for me. Don't confuse it with the TX2 and it's cousins (I use a 3300 upstairs); although competent, they are not in the same league.

• 01-20-2012 5:55 PM In reply to

I'll send it again to the new one.

And thanks for the info regarding the heirarchy - I appreciate all the info.

• 01-24-2012 9:10 PM In reply to

Phil,

Did you recieve my email?

• 01-24-2012 10:00 PM In reply to

Yes-I'll dig it out and pack it this weekend. I'll email you when I have info

• 01-24-2012 10:55 PM In reply to

Great. Thank you!

• 02-01-2012 12:27 AM In reply to

Phil,

Any news? :)

• 02-02-2012 7:33 PM In reply to

Sorry-it slipped my mind and then my hard drive failed and I've been off the boards til just now with a new Mac.

What would really work for me would be for you to handle the shipping-get a call tag sent to my shop for a pickup of a 15"X6" 12lb? package:

Phil's Foreign Car service

415 rt 46

Kenvil, NJ 07847

Let me know and I'll pack it and have it at work. That's much easier for me than arranging for shipping and doing paypal (I've never collected money from them). Work #: 973 584 0161 M-Th.

• 02-08-2012 6:09 PM In reply to

Phil Hunt:
    What would really work for me would be for you to handle the shipping-get a call tag sent to my shop for a pickup of a 15"X6" 12lb? package:

Sorry, I don't understand what you want me to do? I can pay extra expense if arranging shipping is difficult.

• 02-08-2012 10:43 PM In reply to

Hope this doesn't sound "catty" but because I offered this free for local pickup, and because I'm an old fart paraplegic in a wheelchair, I"m asking for you to do the legwork.

Go to the UPS store or whatever and pay for the shipping and have them issue a "call tag" (if you need to fax it it's 973 584 0594). I think you can also do this online. Fedex also has this I think. Once I have the tag, I stick it on the box and call the number on it for pickup.

Phil's Foreign Car Svc

415 rt 46

Kenvil, NJ 07847     phone 973 584 0161

Thanks, Phil

• 02-09-2012 12:23 AM In reply to

Phil Hunt:

Hope this doesn't sound "catty" but because I offered this free for local pickup, and because I'm an old fart paraplegic in a wheelchair, I"m asking for you to do the legwork.

Go to the UPS store or whatever and pay for the shipping and have them issue a "call tag" (if you need to fax it it's 973 584 0594). I think you can also do this online. Fedex also has this I think. Once I have the tag, I stick it on the box and call the number on it for pickup.

Phil's Foreign Car Svc

415 rt 46

Kenvil, NJ 07847     phone 973 584 0161

Thanks, Phil

Oh, I understand now. Sorry, I had never heard of a call tag so I was pretty confused Unsure

I'll be sure to do that this week and reply once I've done it. Thanks again for your trouble!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)