in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-30-2012 3:04 PM by Peter. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-11-2012 5:50 AM

Front Panel Fonts

I am working on restoring a Beomaster 1700 amp, and would like to be able to be able to repair damage to the printing on the slider controls and front panel. What fonts did B&O use in their designs, and do members have any recommendations or tips for restoring damaged front panels? It seems to be more tricky than just sorting out the electronics or mechanical parts.

Many thanks,

John O

• 01-13-2012 7:20 PM In reply to

Re: Front Panel Fonts

Hi John:

It would depend on how badly the lettering is gone.

If partial lettering is removed.. ie bits of a character.... it is possible to use "Letrset" http://www.letraset.com/products/91-Lettering/ scratch off lettering to touch up the font. You may not need the exact font as you would rub off just enough to restore the letter.

Then spray the panel lightly with a photographic lacquer or some transparent clear coat. Don't over do it as it will show up heavy, shinny and ugly... just a light spray to protect the lettering.

You could rescreen the entire panel, and it is possible to do with software, and modified epson inkjet printers. which allow you to do custom screens but its an involved process.

Derek

• 01-13-2012 7:44 PM In reply to

I think the lettering on the old B&O from the 70's and 80's is the font "Helvetica" -while they today use another font: "Beofont".

• 01-30-2012 2:03 PM In reply to

• Leif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-14-2012
    • Posts 2
    • Gold Member

Hmm, what about the old Beolab & Beoamster 5000? They tend to loose the lettering.

Does anyone have any easy / cheap solution to recover them? Maybe a layout to make a print after.

And yes, I know Frede do sell new front covers, but it's not the time for a complete restoration costs.

• 01-30-2012 2:09 PM In reply to

I have done the 5000 system with Helvetica Letraset before - did really rather well, though I say so myself! I was a while ago so I cannot remember exactly which size it was but it was Helvetica Bold. Having a Frede set now however, there is no comparison!I add some pictures!

After

• 01-30-2012 2:21 PM In reply to

• Leif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-14-2012
    • Posts 2
    • Gold Member

Think I have to compare some fonts for a repair. And also thinking of having our local graphician store to give an offer for a re-print.

Sure you right - took my my wife with me visiting by him 1st Oct. last year having a chat about the superb re-building work he is doing and preparing my wife for the costs. He's my first choice for a re-build when the time (and money) come.

• 01-30-2012 3:04 PM In reply to

After!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)