in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-05-2012 4:12 PM by Step1. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-07-2012 8:27 PM

• leejor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-08-2012
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Repair of Beocom 1500 Handset

I just picked up a dirty but good condition Beocom 1500. The only issue it that the cord is just about to break off. I've done a lot of seaching but cannot find anything about opening up the handset. I don't want to force the edge open and break it. There must be a "trick" to it. Does anyone have any experience taking one apart?

Thanks

• 01-08-2012 5:53 AM In reply to

Re: Repair of Beocom 1500 Handset

Unfortunately I believe the construction is similar to many plastic remote controls: it has been put together with ultrasonic welding, which makes the handset officially unserviceable.

The seam is still the weakest part, so it should be possible to crack it open and glue it back together, but the result will probably show.

-mika

• 01-08-2012 12:23 PM In reply to

• leejor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-08-2012
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

THanks

Almost all of the remotes I've taken apart, and it has been a lot, just have tabs holding them together, none have been welded. You just have to know where to pry to pop them open.

The base came apart like a puzzle quite nicely. I was hoping it would be the same thing with the handset.

My next stop, if there are no more responces, is to try prying open and cutting (carefully) with a rasor blade. At least, then I can glue it back together.

• 01-08-2012 1:19 PM In reply to

Sorry, I just realized that 1500 is one of those models where the keypad is in the handset (I always mix these Beocoms up). Can't help you with that any further, but there is indeed a better chance that it might be possible to open it in a non-destructive way.

The handset in 1600/2500 is welded, but apparently there's still a somewhat correct way to cracking it open.

-mika

• 02-04-2012 3:47 PM In reply to

• leejor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-08-2012
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

I got it open. Was going to post a pic but can't figure out how you go to your computers files to get to the photo. Just shows image URL for a location...it's on my computer!!!

Cracked open gently from bottom to top, on each side, with a large flat blade scewdriver. Came apart pretty clean with just a bit of the top part still clinging to the face. As it turns out the handset cord is removable without all the fuss i went to! The black piece (cord retainer) under the removable coloured bit also pops out and the handset cord plugs in just off to the side.

It was really filthy so taking it apart gave me a chance to properly clean it. Glues back together with some Acrylic solvent glue, which just melts the plastic. You can't even tell it had been opened.

• 02-04-2012 4:51 PM In reply to

If you just want to add one photo, you can click the "options" tab while composing and add it there.

Thanks for posting the outcome, it can well be useful to someone else in the future Smile

-mika

• 02-05-2012 4:12 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Just want to add that you can just about break apart Beocom 2x00 handsets but it ain't easy to do in a neat fashion. Also, getting to the keypad membrane is just as difficult lol!

Olly.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)