in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-06-2011 3:23 AM by Milton78. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-20-2011 11:09 AM

Loose glass plate on BS 9000

Hi,

Calling out to all of my fellow B&O-lovers who have a better knowledge than I possess of the technical side of this piece of machinery. The issue is the following: I have been offered to purchase a used BS 9000 with a loose glass plate. Now, how damaging is this, i.e. how difficult is it to repair? And also, some of the external cabling has been changed so it'll need to be remade.

I don't intend to do this myself, unless it's REALLY easy, but some kind of estimate would help before I ask the repair people.

/Carl-Henrik

• 06-21-2011 1:31 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Re: Loose glass plate on BS 9000

I would not be to concerned about the cabling; can be quite easily fixed.

Loose glass plate needs professional repair, I would have someone look at it before I made the final purchase.

Bieele

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 06-21-2011 3:50 AM In reply to

Is the BS9000 old? I think the glass plate coming off was a problem in early production, and there was a factory recall for it. There's still a chance that it might be repaired (new door) for free - if you can get the serial number from the seller, it might be a good idea to ask a dealer about it.

-mika

• 06-21-2011 4:08 AM In reply to

Hi guys,

Thank you both for your advice! I will ask my dealer about it once I can locate the serial number.

/Carl-Henrik

• 06-21-2011 4:30 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Milton78:
    I have been offered to purchase a used BS 9000 with a loose glass plate.

Best scenario: 
    Glass been opened by force -  just needs to be "snapped in" again
    (some "gentle" force needed, consulting a dealer/service technician recommended)

Most likely when items is 10-15 years old:
    Glue between glass and the metal bracket(s) failed - replaceing the glass required 
    (order sparepart - follow the supplied mounting instructions - not very complicated 
    DIY job if you have the right tools eg. hex-key, ...)

Worst case:
    Hinges have been damaged - definitely NO DIY - have to be replaced by a B&O trained
    service technician.   

• 06-21-2011 4:33 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Milton78:
    ... once I can locate the serial number ...

Smile detach the "keyboard" and have a look ...

• 07-06-2011 3:23 AM In reply to

Got it!

I just wanted to share an experience I had with this BS9000. As the plate was loose, and it was in unknown shape otherwise (it powered up but the CD-player was in lock mode) I had to turn it to a proper repairman. My original dealer has, sadly, closed his business and although there are some other shops around in Stockholm, I am not conveniently closer to one. Thus, I had to go shop hunting!
    I sent out a request to two shops - one old that's been around for some time and one new in a brand new upscale shopping centre. The old one replied quite fast, with good answers and a "Yes, we can"-attitude. The other (newer one) just directed me to the repairshop..."You can call them at...." and was not helpful at all! Now,  I know I am not a customer of theirs but I would think they would have liked me as a customer! If more B&O are like this new one, no wonder they've all disappeared! Perhaps B&O should include some business thinking when accepting a new dealer. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)