in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-07-2009 5:28 AM by Kokomo. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-05-2009 5:53 AM

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Beovision 3 - does scart lead affect picture format ?

My Beovision 3 always defaults to picture format 1 after switch off and switch on again. I think I recall mention on this forum that the scart lead can in some way contribute to this, as it may not be auto-adjusting the input signal. Does this mean my lead may not be fully wired and therefore not enabling this 'auto' function?

Of course I can (and do) change the format each time, but I would prefer it to remember my setting, so is there a solution to this?   

Thanks.

• 10-05-2009 6:06 AM In reply to

Re: Beovision 3 - does scart lead affect picture format ?

The aspect ratio information is carried in SCART pin 8, and it is possible that it is not connected in your cable. However, this would only affect the single source you have connected through this cable, not sources like the internal tuner or anything else you have connected to other inputs. Fully connected SCART cables are usually much thicker than "budget" cables, but you can't prove this either way by just looking at the cable from the outside. You'll either need to measure it, or open one of the connectors and see what's inside.

Sorry I don't know anything specifically about BV3, there could be some settings in the TV that affect this as well.

-mika

• 10-05-2009 6:22 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

I don't think all the SCART connectors on the BV3 have this feature.  Have a look at your manual or download it from the site. 

hope that helps, beoaus.

• 10-05-2009 7:00 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Thanks to you both.

The manual says "FORMAT 3 will usually be selected automatically, if this is not the case you can select it yourself".

My source is a Sky digibox set to 16:9.

I know I can set it myself, but am confused by the word "usually" above. Either it will or it won't I would have thought, unless it is suggesting the format setting will be dependent upon other factors.

Haven't got a spare scart lead, but suppose I could buy a cheap fully wired one (I hope fully wired) and see if this achieves what I want and if it does then get a better lead. 

Unless someone has a different idea. Please feel free to suggest!

• 10-05-2009 1:57 PM In reply to

I have this same problem with Sky as well but this is because it is connected by S-Video, it could be that your scart is not a fully wired RGB lead, do have a another you could swap to test.

There are also some settings in the service menu which can have an effect on formating, WSS is one, I am a bit hazy on the other but I am sure Keith if he is reading this will know.

Hope this helps

Simon

• 10-05-2009 4:00 PM In reply to

Check the scart control is set to 'on' in the Sky box (services>picture settings). This activates pin 8.

David

• 10-06-2009 3:42 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

david707:

Check the scart control is set to 'on' in the Sky box (services>picture settings). This activates pin 8.

David

I have it switched on David thanks. Must be the case that my scart lead's  pin 8 isn't wired. Time for further investigation I think!

Thanks again to all for the help.

• 10-06-2009 9:29 AM In reply to

All three SCART connectors have pin 8 wired for automatic 16:9 sense and on the VTAPE and AV SCART it is also used for AVL signal as well.

The following are the signal spec's for each socket:-

• VTAPE -- CVBS in/out -- RGB in -- Automatic 16:9 sense using pin 8 -- B&O AVL also on pin 8
    • AV  --  CVBS in/out -- RGB in -- S-VHS in/out -- Automatic 16:9 sense using pin 8 -- Automatic S-VHS Configuring  -- B&O AVL also on pin 8
    • DECODER -- CVBS in/out -- Automatic 16:9 sense using pin 8

I suggest the first step is to check the wiring of the SCART cable

Regards Keith....

• 10-06-2009 11:09 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Keith and others. Much obliged.

• 10-07-2009 4:59 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

HOW VERY ASHAMED AM I!

I've sorted it out, here's how & why.

I tried 3 fully wired scart leads and all wouldn't facilitate automatic switching to widescreen from my Sky box. Stumped, or so I thought!

I did a quick 'Google' of the Sky Digibox issue and almost immediately a site was telling me that only ONE of the two scart connections on a digibox has pin 8 wired - the 'TV' one. A check of where I was plugging the lead into the Sky box revealed I had always connected to the top connection which is marked 'VCR'. This is the one which does NOT have pin 8 wired. The lower connection 'TV' does, so a move to this one and bingo, automatic widescreen switching!

I can't believe I overlooked this simple point.

Embarrassed

• 10-07-2009 5:10 AM In reply to

kokomo:

I did a quick 'Google' of the Sky Digibox issue and almost immediately a site was telling me that only ONE of the two scart connections on a digibox has pin 8 wired - the 'TV' one. A check of where I was plugging the lead into the Sky box revealed I had always connected to the top connection which is marked 'VCR'. This is the one which does NOT have pin 8 wired. The lower connection 'TV' does, so a move to this one and bingo, automatic widescreen switching!

The best solutions are often simple! Laughing

You should see a good improvement in picture quality as well, I'm pretty sure the VCR scart only has composite output, while the TV connector gives out RGB. For this, you'll need to connect it to either the VTAPE or AV connector on the BV as per Keith's post above.

-mika

• 10-07-2009 5:28 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

The best solutions are often simple! Laughing

You should see a good improvement in picture quality as well, I'm pretty sure the VCR scart only has composite output, while the TV connector gives out RGB. For this, you'll need to connect it to either the VTAPE or AV connector on the BV as per Keith's post above.

Hadn't thought of the RGB output!

I have my box set to RGB out and as far as I can determine, the Sky box outputs RGB on both scart sockets. But maybe it doesn't, only on the 'TV' one. I will see if there is any difference in picture quality. I'm still in a state of euphoria after finding the solution to the widescreen problem! 

Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)