in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-16-2011 12:46 PM by Step1. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-27-2009 11:26 PM

BM6000 - 74.8 MHz Problem

Hi folks, my first post as a recently returned forum member...

I recently picked up a BM6000 -  great condition, but has the 74.8 display problem. I've looked over the forum, but couldn't find a thread on it. Just wondering if there is a fix for this condition???

Cheers, Julien

• 07-28-2009 7:41 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: BM6000 - 74.8 MHz Problem

Yes, the frequency readout showing 74,8 is a common problem in the Beomaster 6000.
    The prescaler IC inside the processor module has died. That IC is long out of production but I still
    have a few NOS (New Old Stock) IC's.
    Soldering and basic electronic skills and tools are required to fix it.

Martin

• 07-28-2009 7:48 AM In reply to

Thanks Martin, I have PM'd

jc

• 08-07-2009 9:38 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Julien,

One needs to be very careful when replacing these unobtanium IC's. Generally these IC's were very well made, designed to last a lifetime.

When they fail consistently, as they do in the BM6000, there is usually another reason, such as overheat, or unstable power due to bad passive components in the circuit close to this IC.

The chances of being able to replace this IC again are basically zero, so check very closely the capacitors and resistors in this area, to ensure that this IC will have a very long life.

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 12-14-2011 10:54 AM In reply to

Hello from Minnesota, USA

I just picked up a handsome BO 6000 as well. It had the volume belt problem, which I now have under control. It also has the 74.8 readout problem as well.

Martin, you say it's the "prescaler IC inside the processor module" that has failed. Do you have step-by-step instructions for fixing? Also, how can I obtain one of your ICs (if you still have any)?

I am new to this forum. This is my first post. Sorry if I'm not following rules properly.
    Rick

• 12-14-2011 12:24 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I am not sure Martin is on the forums atm? so contact him via PM. Just to add to above I always add a dil socket so I do not need to solder the replacement IC in place AND the reason this IC fails in my opinion is that it is placed right next to the big transistor used as a voltage reg. This kicks out quite a bit of heat and can sometimes be found touching the IC! Move as far away as you can without removing and angle up but make sure the tab does not touch anything including the metal lid when placed back!

To get to the IC one must remove the keypad 3 clips under the front edge (undo two bolts, lift rear pull top part forward to access underside - see service manual) then the keypad slides forward and lifts out. BE CAREFULL as the three top clips can easily break! This will give access to the metal can with micro circuits. The lid can be carefully levered off and will reveal the IC. Lift the top (Like a car hood) to gain access to the rear of the board. Must be very careful and gental with everything in this area and take anti-static precautions!

Martin will also supply a belt and I am sure instructions this can be done at the same time.

BTW I agree above in as much as those two electrolytic capacitors will be worth doing and a trimmer that can be sensitive to disturbance but before replacing the latter, make sure you have read the setup proceedure, have the relavent equipment (PSU meter etc) and are sure you feel comfortable attempting otherwise leave well alone!!!

Olly.

• 12-15-2011 8:16 AM In reply to

Thanks Olly! (cool name)

I don't know what you mean by PM and ATM. As I say, I'm new to this.

I did get a service manual, so I know how to crack the beast open and fiddle with the belt.

The IC sounds a bit more involved. I guess it's not a show-stopper as I can get by with the presets for the most part. It's just a little ackward when somebody asks to listen to a different station. I think I need pictures along with the cookbook instructions to attempt this little project. I looked in the service manual and couldn't really see the area you're talking about clearly.

What I'd really like is a User Manual!

Anyway, thanks again. I've really learned a lot lurking in this forum and glad to have finally joined.
    Rick

• 12-15-2011 11:10 AM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

PM = private/personal message; click on the "Dillen" link to the left of Martin's post to send him a message.

ATM = at the moment; Martin is no longer posting because of forum infrastructure issues.

Welcome to Beoworld!

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 12-16-2011 12:46 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I have a 6000 that I need to completely rebuild so will take pictures and update this thread. Thing is, I had not planned on doing it for a while yet lol as I have got quite a lot to do atm.

Olly.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)