in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-06-2009 8:37 AM by burantek. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-07-2008 7:33 PM

Beogram RX 2 Help

Hi,

I'm in a bit of distress because my Beogram RX2 has just stopped working, and I'll have difficulty living with out it. Right now, if play or cue is pressed, the platter will spin a few times, but the tone are won't move. After a couple spins, it'll stop and that's it. I've tried with/without record, etc. And nothing seems to help. It seems that the auto-playing tone-arm mechanism isn't properly rotating into place.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for your help!

Vince 

• 03-03-2009 7:38 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram RX 2 Help

Hi Vince,

* Just joined Beoworld.org today (2009/3/3). It's a pleasure to be here. *

Same problem with my 1800.

I have been limping along these last several years by manually helping the platter keep turning with my right index finger on the record label after pressing the cue button, or the front-right corner button.  This needs a few rotations and then it turns on its own just fine, plays the side and rejects properly.  I also do this "assist" while using my Diskwasher to clean the grooves.

I just ordered a new belt from Fred Smith at Marrs Communications, on Ebay and hope that helps.  I'll post findings as progress is made.

Cheers,

chrx 

• 03-04-2009 8:05 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

There are a couple of open switches under the platter that will
    need cleaning/deoxidation.

Martin

• 03-06-2009 3:08 AM In reply to

I received the belts for my 1800 from the Ebay source today.  I put one in the turntable and the other in two zip-loc bags and tossed it in the freezer, so the kids can use it 24 years from now...

Here is how the belts came from the source:

Filed under: ,
  • 03-06-2009 3:12 AM In reply to

Side-by-side comparison of the 24 year old belt (was it REALLY 24 years ago???).  OLD belt TOP, NEW belt BOTTOM.  I used push pins here to illustrate difference in length, due to the rubber relaxing over the years.  Belts are taught enough to be straight, but not stretched:

New and old Beogram 1800 belts

The results from replacing the belt are excellent!

• 03-06-2009 3:27 AM In reply to

Thank you for mentioning the open switches, Dillen. I replaced the belt before I saw your post and the results were positive, but decided to go back in to do your recommended cleaning.  Here is how I accomplished that cleaning process...

** PLEASE NOTE - I am posting this here, because I had been experiencing the same issue as explained in the first thread by Vinsanity on his RX2.  I am offering my experience in remedying the situation on my Beogram 1800.  I am assuming there are some similarities between the RX2 and 1800. **

I removed the platter and glued-on plastic cover from the aluminium platter frame.  I then found the two open switches inside.

I have added yellow circles in those two switch locations in this photo.  Orange circles indicate tonearm positioning mechanisms which flip the neighboring open switches from one position to the next, to enable cleaning both contacts.  It is necessary to manually trigger those mechanisms and rotate the platter frame to clean both contacts on each switch:

Beogram 1800 upper innards

• 03-06-2009 3:41 AM In reply to

Using acetone (the wife's nail polish remover) and a fine-tip paint brush, I began cleaning the switch in the far-left quadrant of the turntable:

The switch:

Beogram 1800 open switch under platter

Cleaning first open side contacts with acetone and brush:

Cleaning Beogram 1800 open switches

Flipping switch to opposite position accomplished by pushing as shown with very light fingertip pressure, then rotating aluminum platter frame (this mechanism controls swinging the tonearm on the Beogram 1800):

Beogram 1800 open switch flipping

• 03-06-2009 3:56 AM In reply to

Next, I proceeded to clean the open switch in the near-right quadrant...

Same process as above.  Clean the open side first:

Beogram 1800 open switch

Flipping this switch to the opposite position is accomplished by lightly pushing the white lever as shown - again, using very light fingertip pressure.  Next rotate the aluminum platter frame until switch flips to other position and clean open contacts (this mechanism controls raising/lowering tonearm on the Beogram 1800).

Flipping switch on Beogram 1800

• 03-06-2009 4:06 AM In reply to

Ahh, good as new!

chrx's Beogram 1800 detail

I am glad to find that the belt did the trick.  My 1800 plays like it did when it was new.  Knowing the contacts on the open switches are also taken care of for the time being is an added bonus.

Again, I wanted to post here, as the original posting topic matched the symptoms I had with my 1800.  Even though the posting was for an RX2, I thought this might help others with the same problem to consider one remedy option.

Off-topic, the first song I played with new belt:  "Da da da, I Don't Love You, You Don't Love Me", by Trio (Trio and Error, Side 2, song 2).

Cheers everyone!

chrx

• 03-06-2009 4:41 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Fantastic photo's and a very easy to follow procudure you have written Chrx.

Thank you very much for this thread which is especially welcome from a new member. A terrific first thread from you which I am sure will be of use to many of our members.Yes -  thumbs up

Hopefully this will solve the problem as stated by Vince the author of the OP. The RX2 & 1800 are to all intents & purposes the same basic record deck.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 03-06-2009 8:37 AM In reply to

Medogsfat:

Fantastic photo's and a very easy to follow procudure you have written Chrx.

Thank you very much for this thread which is especially welcome from a new member. A terrific first thread from you which I am sure will be of use to many of our members.Yes - thumbs up

Hopefully this will solve the problem as stated by Vince the author of the OP. The RX2 & 1800 are to all intents & purposes the same basic record deck.

Chris.

ditto from me... chrx!

great opening posts! very clear instructions and excellent photos! i look forward to seeing more...

welcome aboard!

• B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)